Remember the Asian Crisis of 97..Do not miss the boat again!!!

More
15 years 4 months ago #922 by Dongdaemun
wow, 3 months have passed by since Gary started this thread with a call to remember the Asian crisis. Not too far off the mark, as the markets have been positive in the last couple of weeks. will the dance pick up tempo ahead of the Jan 22 Singapore budget and of course the Obama inauguration on Jan 20? i bet it will ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 months ago #936 by Tony Adams
RBS just placed out 2.3 billion worth of Bank of China, I heard the shares went to many rich people in Singapore and Hong Kong. The power is shifting from the Ang Mos to the Chinese now. Fully agreed that we should not miss this chance of a lifetime :laugh: :laugh:

More
15 years 3 months ago #949 by lawz
Hi Gary, Any good counter to recommend? :)

More
15 years 3 months ago #955 by MacGyver
Hi Lawz; Companies with good recurring cashflows, ample cash on hand and minimum capex in 2009. These are the companies that I would be looking out for. At least, I know they will survive the winter. Some companies to put into your radar screen; 1) Design Studio 2) Eu Yan Sang 3) Li Heng 4) Sihuan 5) China Milk 6) Yangzijiang 7) China Essence Good luck

More
15 years 3 months ago #958 by lawz
Hi MacGyver, Thx 4 the advice... :) Cheers

More
15 years 3 months ago #959 by musicwhiz
MacGyver wrote:

Hi Lawz; Companies with good recurring cashflows, ample cash on hand and minimum capex in 2009. These are the companies that I would be looking out for. At least, I know they will survive the winter. Some companies to put into your radar screen; 1) Design Studio 2) Eu Yan Sang 3) Li Heng 4) Sihuan 5) China Milk 6) Yangzijiang 7) China Essence Good luck

Hi, Any particular reason why 5 out of the 7 recommended are China-based companies ? Could there be the ever-present problem with corporate governance issues relating to China companies ? Also, from what I understand, Eu Yan Sang is not doing too well and has reported stagnant to lower profits recently due to the slump in retail spending. The shops that I\'ve passed are frequently empty and from the look of the store decor, they seem to be spending quite a bit on capex for their stores and rentals should be quite high due to good location. So how can the company mitigate this and ensure steady earnings and cash flows in future periods ? No comment on Design Studio as I do not know the company well, but would you happen to have other Singapore companies to recommend with good cash flow and prospects which can tide through the downturn ? Thanks.

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds