S-Chips selldown

More
15 years 2 months ago #1254 by musicwhiz
Replied by musicwhiz on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
Having some personal experience in travelling to China for work, I should mention that doing business there is very different from here in Singapore and there is a lot of \"under-the-table\" stuff and not so above board practices which are rampant there. This is not to say that all S-Shares books are cooked but one should take a healthy dose of skepticism especially since Management is not even present to attend to queries in Singapore though they are listed in Singapore. Corporate governance issues will continue to plague China companies, which is why I avoid them as a whole. Note: I do own Pacific Andes and China Fishery but do note that their parent is listed on Hong Kong and they are technically not \"China\" companies. Their reporting currencies are in HKD and USD respectively.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1258 by Tony Adams
Replied by Tony Adams on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
China Zaino has a nice article on Lianhe Zaobao, the Chinese newspapers today. Sigh.. This man makes S$80 million profit a year. In SGX, his company is ranked 48th most profitable company in over 700 listed companies. Yet, he gets no respect from the Singapore investors who doubt whether the business is real. Wah lau, life is tough man!

More
15 years 2 months ago #1259 by Gary Teh
Replied by Gary Teh on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
What do you mean by this man makes SGD 80 million profit?? Do you mean this man refers to the company China Zaino??

More
15 years 2 months ago #1260 by sean.ng
Replied by sean.ng on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
as early as november, then added more in dec, and finally feb all-in, just right before it began the worst free-fall a fortnight ago, so practically can say that if you are viewing from outside the boxing ring, you would have seen me trying a wild swing at the experienced opponent, missed, and ducked under, thinking that im safe, yet have totally not anticipated the opponent\'s upcoming lethal flying knee and upper cut. On the aftermath, and rewinding it again and again, you would have commented that this sucker was stupid enough to get himself so exposed right ther just waiting to get slaughtered.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1261 by Gary Teh
Replied by Gary Teh on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
Hi Sean, That is not bad...you have entered when in a market downturn. Valuations at the time when you came in has already taken a serious beating. On the S-Chips at least you did not pay more than 0.50 each on any of those unless it was Cosco. Having said so...if you decide that you\'re not wiling to rebalance, I suggest you do not look at the daily prices and hang in for now.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1262 by musicwhiz
Replied by musicwhiz on topic Re:S-Chips selldown
Yes one way to not be emotionally affected is to not look at daily prices of the companies you purchased, unless your intention is to purchase more ! Benjamin Graham cautioned against this when he said that we should not be affected by \"other peoples\' mistakes of judgement\" as to the true worth of a company.

Time to create page: 0.207 seconds