I just heard about .....

More
12 years 11 months ago #6118 by niadmin
Replied by niadmin on topic Re:I just heard about .....
Had lunch today with one of the forumers. Hope he doesnt mind if I share here some of his interesting experiences. To begin with, he had a nasty start by buying China Aviation Oil shares when he was in university -- he lost a bundle.

That unnerved him and he stayed largely away from stocks --- but didnt stop learning and reading and observing.

Then came 2008 & 2009 sharp downturn - and he bought into a STI fund when the index was ard 1600. He found the guts to buy .... but wasn't sure if it would go down some more, but heck he would buy on further dips. So anyway this has doubled in value - and voila he made back what he lost in CAO.

From his postings in the forum you will recognise that he does his home work, analysing the financials of the business, the sector, etc. He abides by a pretty strict set of investing criteria, preferring to miss out on any gains than to be sorry. He is particularly risk-averse when it comes to S-chips.

He does invest in S-chips but he is not sticking around any one of them for the long haul. China Gaoxian was one stock he got in cheap, made some profit and said goodbye. He got in at 18-19 cents and was happy to get out at 29  -- however, the stock zoomed up and he was happy to get out at 32, only to feel pangs of regret when the stock touched 40+.

By the end of the lunch, we had exchanged many views and experiences, and learnt a lot from each other.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #6149 by Joes
I think Joanne is just too much!

But first, if u have not read about this much talked abt incident  which is getting tonnes of comments on other online forums:

sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/j...-poor-050306850.html

Popular restaurant chain Nando's in the spotlight after local celebrity Joanne Peh stormed out its Tanglin Mall outlet on Monday evening, complaining of bad service. What made the incident worse was that after she left the restaurant with her boyfriend, Nando's staff started clapping, she claimed. The 28-year-old actress, incensed by the fact she had been asked to pay $3.90 for a cup of warm water, vented her frustrations on Twitter later that night. "Somebody please save this restaurant. They have no idea what service and initiative means," she tweeted via @JoannePeh, triggering a flurry of comments from her 20,000 followers, many of whom supported her.

My view - $ pt of view - is how come small thing like that can get so big? Just over $3.50, a  fight appears in the media.

From behavior point of view, for her to say "Somebody pls save this restaurant...." - i consider this is arrogance. Just over a cup of hot water, she has make it seem that this restaurant is a condemned place.

2. and for her to Twitter her view like that is simply ugly revenge to hurt the image of the restaurant. I have not been there and myself hv no preconceived view of the service there, but boy the staff must hv been real '....' off with her to actually clap when she left. This is quite classy form of boo-ing someone who misbehaves.
Last edit: 12 years 11 months ago by Joes.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6150 by pine
Views from other forum....

riseman2003 (signed in using Yahoo)
Actually to be true and is a fact, a lot of celebrities tend to be arrogant and think they are big F and want to be treated like Bigger F, that's where the problem sets in. I still think better to be humble and down to earth. One day no more longer being a celebrity..sure kenna treated like dung!

Kenett Wong · [img]file:///C:/DOCUME~1/User/LOCALS~1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/img]Top Commenter
I bet we are only hearing 1 side of the story...if all the staff were to to clap, it must have been quite a commotion before that :p
crem2u2 (signed in using Yahoo)
I agree with Kenett, for the staff to all clap they must have made a scene. Just because she is a celebrity and dates and ang mo she needs to be treated with kids gloves?
That said $3.90 for hot water is utter madness.
Ivan Teo Kai Jie
How come she pays $3.90 such a big case?
Everyday many of us also get ripped off 1leh..

More
12 years 10 months ago #6315 by Poh
Replied by Poh on topic Re:I just heard about .....
The other day, I met the CEO of a company..... Happy man. Though his business is not-sexy, it is making good money. It is in the construction industry -- as he drank his Heineken beer, this guy said all the players are like getting lottery win from govt. Why ? Answer obvious : big building programme for HDB flats. Private land sales are going to be increased too. I imagine this CEO will seep champagne with me next time. He will be a very happy man for the next few years. Very happy man. 

More
12 years 9 months ago #6505 by Poh
The other morning, I met a friend at the hawker centre.

Me: How's yr stock portfolio doing?
He: Lucky the US market is coming back. I am seeing a lot of red ink. Worst spill is from RIM - Research in Motion.

Me: What? I thought this is is a solid company. Blue chip. Global brand. I have a Blackberry you know.
He: They are losing out to Apple, etc. This year, RIM shares have dropped from 70 USD to USD30.

Me: Wahpiang! Worst than some S-chips!
He: And you know what the PE is? Just 5X trailing.

Me: Wahpiang! I feel better about my micro-cap S-chips and Singapore companies. They are also trading at 5X PE, or 6X. The good ones could recover 20-30% in 2H if their earnings cheong, you know.
He: Tell me, what S-chips to buy, ah?

More
12 years 8 months ago #6887 by Poh
Someone told me ....A woman visited the toilet in O.G. Dept Store in Bugis and hung her handbag on the back of the toilet door. As she carried on about her business, a hand suddenly appeared over the top of the stall and grabbed her bag from the hook. She reported the incident to the head of security, who informed the manager of the store.

A couple of days later she had a call (supposedly from the head of security) to say her bag had been found, so she arranged to go and meet the manager.

On arriving at the O. G. store at the agreed time, she found the manager was not expecting her and neither was the head of security. No one from the store had called her as the bag had not been found.

When the puzzled lady got home, she found her house had been burgled. There was no sign of forced entry. The mata-mata believe the robbers had used her driving license to find out where she lived and used her keys to let themselves in.

My friend said, this is a real story. Please be extra vigilant ladies AND gents (with your man bags).

Time to create page: 0.227 seconds