I just heard about .....

More
12 years 2 weeks ago #8705 by Poh
Replied by Poh on topic Re:I just heard about .....
Sizzler Restaurant has closed, as announced on its homepage  www.sizzler.com.sg/

Sad news -- this was one of my favourites, as it served a hearty buffet which was healthy and value for money. What similar restaurant can I go to in the heartlands?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 5 days ago #8858 by Poh
Replied by Poh on topic Re:I just heard about .....
Singapore law is v strict, hor?

SINGAPORE: Former principal of Pei Chun Public School Lee Lip Hong has been sentenced to nine weeks' jail for having paid sex with a minor.

He pleaded guilty on Friday morning.

The court heard that Lee first came to know of the girl's services from an Internet vice website.

He then procured her services through the website, which stated the girl's age as 18 years old.

Lee's lawyer Melanie Ho told the court that her client was misled about the girl's real age.

She said that when he met the girl's pimp, Tang Boon Thiew, he was told that the girl was 19 years old.

Ms Ho said Lee had no reason to suspect that she was younger than her stated age on the website.

She said when Lee met the girl, she told him she was 19 years old.

Ms Ho said Lee did not suspect anything was wrong and had no reason to doubt her stated age, based on her physical appearance, demeanour and maturity.

Lee broke down during the court session as his lawyer pleaded for leniency.

Ms Ho said her client was very remorseful and understood that he had made a very serious mistake.

Lee later requested to plead personally, telling the judge that even though he changed his mind and decided to engage a counsel, he never changed his decision to plead guilty.

He said he was fully ashamed of his actions, which have caused pain and harm to his family, especially his wife.

Lee said he had disappointed many who entrusted him to be their role model.

He also acknowledged that it was his personal lack of control of his moral standards and his weak resistance to distractions that led to his mistake.

When the jail sentence was handed down at about noon, Lee was seen wiping tears from his eyes.

Lee's lawyer, who had pleaded to the court to impose a fine, later told reporters that her client has taken full responsibility for his actions.

She said he was remorseful and was ready to move on.

- CNA/wm

• Poe
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #10008 by Poe
Replied by Poe on topic Re:I just heard about .....

cheap cheap until so cheap ??? $3 only for a hair cut?

More
11 years 9 months ago #10019 by Joes
Replied by Joes on topic Re:I just heard about .....
For a few tens of dollars........
Pastor tried to cheat on three-quarter tank rule Pastor tried to cheat on three-quarter tank rule
20 Jul 2012
SOURCE: The Straits Times Online

A church pastor tried to drive to Malaysia with about a quarter tank of fuel in his car, breaching the three-quarter tank rule for vehicles leaving Singapore.

The car's fuel indicator, however, showed he had a three- quarter tank of petrol.

When questioned by an immigration officer, Steven Yang Suan Piau, 47, twice maintained that the indicator was correct and that the fuel gauge had not been tampered with.

But a check of his car showed otherwise.

The pastor with Eternal Life Baptist Church in Kim Keat Road was sentenced to two weeks' jail after he pleaded guilty to giving false information under the Customs Act.

Another charge of failing to comply with the three-quarter tank rule was taken into consideration.

He is appealing against the sentence and is out on $15,000 bail until the appeal hearing.

Yesterday, Senior District Judge See Kee Oon's written explanation of the grounds for the sentence was published.

In it, he noted that two weeks' jail was the sentencing norm and there were no exceptional reasons to warrant a non-custodial sentence for Yang.

The incident happened around midnight on Jan 3 when the pastor was at the Woodlands Checkpoint.

As the car was being given the routine fuel gauge check by officers of the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority, Yang was asked about the accuracy of the fuel indicator.

He said it was correct and had not been tampered with but an officer found a remote control inside the car's coin compartment.

When the officer pressed the remote control, the indicator moved down to its actual level, below the one-quarter mark.

Yang's lawyer Peter Ong, pleading with the court not to send him to jail, said he was a person of good character and contributed actively to the community with volunteer work.

Mr Ong said Yang was aware of the three-quarter tank rule but committed the offence in a moment of indiscretion, panic and confusion.

But Judge See said Yang was asked twice about the fuel gauge. 'He chose not to come clean but to perpetuate his subterfuge.'

The judge added that Yang's work and contributions to the community were not relevant mitigating factors.

'Indeed, it could be said that he ought to have been even more conscious than most of the need to admit to his transgressions instead of lying twice to attempt to avoid the consequences.'

The penalty for giving false information under the Customs Act is a fine of up to $5,000 or a jail term of up to a year, or both.

• Jane
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #10034 by Jane
Replied by Jane on topic Re:I just heard about .....
The pastor was small time. The big time was Henry Teo of SIA.

SIA Scandal: How $35 million was stolen over 13 years

Reports by
Wong Wei Kong (Business Times 29 Mar 2004)

[hr]
Teo Cheng Kiat was in charge of processing SIA cabin crew allowances. He used the names of crew members who did not fly on various flights to make false claims and channelled the payments to his own bank accounts. In all, he siphoned off almost $35 million over 13 years. Teo was caught and sentenced to 24 years in prison.

[hr]
WHAT is now known as the SIA case of 2000 needs little introduction. It involves, after all, still the largest sum of money ever taken by an employee from a company. But the lessons from the case remains highly relevant today with the threat of fraud still posing a significant risk to companies.

The SIA case had all the hallmarks of a typical corporate fraud: a trusted, long-serving employee; superiors who failed to carry out proper checks; loop-holes in the system; and accidental discovery. In all, Teo Cheng Kiat, or Henry as he was also known, siphoned almost $35 million, a staggering amount. 'No matter how much you trust your employees, it is always important that internal control systems are implemented in the company to prevent and detect such fraudulent activities,' said James Teo, who led the Commercial Affairs Department (CAD) probe into the case.

See the full story on CAD website.

• cheongwee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 years 9 months ago #10037 by cheongwee
Replied by cheongwee on topic Re:I just heard about .....
Happy are those who make their living without hurting other. Somebody have been abusing my name in other forum, but it is ok with me, i just try not to post more, because maybe that is the real reason.

Just ask ourself, if you want to make $1, someone must loss $1, right! It cannot be drop down from the open sky above. That guy either give or loss willingly or unwillingly, that is the only difference.

And in everyone of us, there is a "Teo Cheng Teck" , ", Peter Lim (former chief of SCDF}, Ny Boon Gay, or even "choengwee"inside us, just a matter of how big and small, isn't it? Even, the bible already told us, " For all have sin, and fall short of the glory of God" All have sin!!! anyone is sinless?? " be the first to cast a stone at the woman"

Even in the stock market, we hope to sell to the next fool, the greater fool theory. So are we better than anyone of them? And the admin will find this offensive, and hurt forumer here, right? So I am a great sinner, yes I am indeed.

I make money off greedy people who speculate on penny, But i right myself by distributing the money, so does that make me any less sinful? I wonder. I don't think so. I definitely not decent. Yes, by right it look alright, on the basic of willing seller and willing buyer prespective.But Can i said it was wrong, Was the guy truthly happy to loss? I do loss sometimes also, so was i wrong or happy to loss? or if i win, was i so right? Yes and no, you say?

Judge not, and thou shalt not be judge, Condemn not and thou shalt not be condemn. Forgive us our sin as we forgive those who sin against us.

Isn't it laughable that invester rate GCH and TT int more than Foreland and Qingmei?

But we forgive them because they the invester are like us, we judge them by their sin. And foreland and Qingmei are s-chip, so invester judge them as s-chip group of sinner like gaoxian.

At least, in TT int and GSH, if they dies, they know what kill them, as both are next to emoty shell, but for foreland and Qingmei, they just refuse to bite.

Tomolo penny will be in place, I am inot TT int and GSH too.

May all be well,

Time to create page: 0.236 seconds