I just heard about .....

More
12 years 11 months ago #5955 by Poh
I just heard about ..... was created by Poh
Unusual things do happen to people. Over coffee, heard of the Stanford U guy with a Ph.D -- worked in A-Star, then was retrenched (A-Star retrench people? Researchers can get retrenched? Now U/I know....). Maybe it happens during unusual times - this was May 2008. As you know, it is the GFC = global financial crisis.

So what does he do? Ya lah, apply for other jobs but no company is hiring. Job of last resort -- drive taxi. How come taxi company hiring? That's strange but it's another story.

So Dr Cai Mingjie becomes the most educated taxi driver in his company, in Singapore and the whole world. U don't believe this? I didn't either. But it was in the ST. and there's even a book on it.

www.asiaone.com/Motoring/News/Story/A1Story20100408-209232.html

www.amazon.com/Diary-Taxi-Driver-Singapo...driver/dp/9810850204

<post-script: Dr Cai has returned to respectability. What did u expect? The economy has recovered and he found a job in China>

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 11 months ago #5982 by Poh
Replied by Poh on topic Re:I just heard about .....
1 night – and it’s The End.

No matter how high your reputation & social standing is, no matter how many millions of $ you have….1 night is all it takes to destroy all you have got.

What a bizarre story.

62 years of age. Strauss-Kahn - IMF managing director.
Possibly the next French president.

Now charged with engaging “in oral sexual conduct and anal sexual conduct with another person by forcible compulsion.”

He allegedly closed the door of his hotel room to keep a woman housekeeper from leaving, grabbed her breasts …..tried to pull down her pantyhose.
Strauss-Kahn faces as long as 25 years in prison .....

More
12 years 11 months ago #5991 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Re:I just heard about .....
Guys: keep ur pants zipped, for heaven's sake!

More
12 years 11 months ago #6053 by Poh
My dentist is a veteran in the business, and of an age when he should be taking things easy, in my opinion. Sat down the other day for a regular scaling/polishing session and asked him: "How, have you been on any holiday recently?"

He: "I don't like to go on holidays. Anyway, I can't even if I want to, as my wife has suffered a stroke."

My jaw fell open.

Me: "When did it happen?"

He: "About a year ago. There was a blood clot in her brain. She's now half paralysed."

Me: "Sorry to hear that. You have a maid to look after her, right?"

He: "Yes. Also, my daughter decided to quit her job to look after her. My daughter was a senior accountant - so u can imagine the loss of income and the loss of social life."

The dental session started and I reflected on how our lives can change dramatically because of a health crisis.

So, fellow investors, take care of your health -- exercise (run, swim, cycle, whatever), don't overeat (like a pig), stay away from red meats and cholesterol-dripping foods, etc etc

• cheongwee.
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 years 11 months ago #6055 by cheongwee.
Replied by cheongwee. on topic Re:I just heard about .....
It is always easy to say, but if you will to be in his shoe, that would be a different story.
How many times have we heard, "...ayah,why so stupid, so young also want to dies and jump from building". But if you will to be in the guy or gal shoes, what will be your decision. Will we be tough enough to take the sorrow??
So come to the mkt again, how can we relax, in such a situation like today , you know mkt is going to go down most likely.
Simply, just bet what what risk that you can take and lose in such that tonite you can go to sleep with ease without staring at your computer.
Don, tbet beyond what you can lose, or take emotionally.
so come to the mkt again, should we sell or cut, or shd we buy a little. so what is your decision?or sell now buy back later cheaper,..
again , that will depend .. for me.........buy on dip. i still; think euro will not so fast crack. Most likely next year will be the year of reckon, that is my homework...yours???everybody shd make their decicion and carry it out faithfully.
dont follow other then blame all over...
when problem arise, look at your loved ones..for comfort.
There are no absolute right or wrong, but it is right to say health is the greatest wealth, contenment the greater happiness..........saying of the Buddha.
may all be well and happy.

More
12 years 11 months ago #6084 by Poh
We know that sometimes, or often, the market can be bloody inefficient, unfair, even cruel. I see forumers complain about low valuations of solid businesses such as Eratat, Hu An Cable, Yangzijiang, etc.

Life is like that....

I have just read about Microsoft -- and was shocked to learn that its shares "trade for about 9.8 times profit from the past year, or 34 percent less than the price-earnings ratio for the S&P 500."

Microsoft at less than 10 PE? OMG.
Unbelievable, which is why some big shareholder is yelling for the CEO to step down.

www.businessweek.com/news/2011-05-26/gre...replace-ballmer.html

Time to create page: 0.237 seconds