Making A Million From Stocks

More
12 years 9 months ago #6785 by yeng
Investing is like running a long race. U can train for it, develop good techniques and skills, and develop stamina, etc. But if it there is a severe storm, you can't run far, if at all.

Now with the US & Europe experiencing a tsunami of troubles, we all can forget about making $1 m. It's best to rest and take shelter --  I donch mean liquidate portfolio and stay in cash. I mean keep whatever stocks u luv and have faith in and then just wait out the storm. No point trying to trade the volatility, no point looking for bargains .... Just my 2 c worth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 years 9 months ago - 12 years 9 months ago #6786 by newbiestock
true, in what yeh says. The tsunami of troubles in US are not yet over. Even in Singapore, due to rising SGD and rising labour costs, some of the industries like manufacturing may not do well as predicted.
i think it all depends on stock picks. Choose a defensive counter with fundamentals that are unlikely to change in the long term, regardless of the macroeconomic volatility.
E.g. Construction and maybe Healthcare (only if PE is attractive)

Eratat is also one stock I am accumulating. i like the biz fundamentals, though I agree receivables are very high.
what i like is the business is only restrained to the China domestic market and PRC textile still has plenty of room to grow, as the affluence level grows in China.
even if USD drop due to money printing, japan have an earthquake, or Europe or US have debt problem, it's not going to affect the business fundamental.
And, like what reck says, the biggest losers will eventually become the biggest gainers when market recover (if their fundamental never change). hence, i am also betting on s-chip too.
csltay8033 - for yr cosco example, the problem is not with s-chips. I hv seen the latest cosco result. The result is really bad. Price drops because the company has underperformed. If its earning is good, no matter how bad the mkt sentiment affects it, it will recover back one day during rebound. that taxi uncle bought at the peak in 2007 but cosco earnings haven't even returned to its 2007 peak. if u take cosco out and replace it with other blue chip, the scenario will still be the same.
[hr]
[yeh 06-08-2011]:

Investing is like running a long race. U can train for it, develop good techniques and skills, and develop stamina, etc. But if it there is a severe storm, you can't run far, if at all.

Now with the US & Europe experiencing a tsunami of troubles, we all can forget about making $1 m. It's best to rest and take shelter --  I donch mean liquidate portfolio and stay in cash. I mean keep whatever stocks u luv and have faith in and then just wait out the storm. No point trying to trade the volatility, no point looking for bargains .... Just my 2 c worth
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by newbiestock. Reason: make some changes.

More
12 years 9 months ago #6800 by Joes
A number of good companies with cash reserves shld be buying back their stocks today.... Let's see who these are.

More
12 years 9 months ago #6805 by MacGyver
Dear Forummers,
A word of caution. This is going to be a very volatile period. Only invest if you have the capital and patience to last this cycle.
This is turning out to be what I fear at the start of the year. Inflation with the lack of solutions to 2010 problems meant that the world is sinking into deeper troubles.
But all is not lost. USA heading into recession is not such a whole disaster.
Look at Japan -- They have been in recession for more than 20 years. But the Companies are still very profitable and the people are still living in good conditions.
The first thing that you have to understand -- What is RECESSION? Is it end of the world when a country goes into recession?

More
12 years 9 months ago #6807 by pine
Replied by pine on topic Markets coming back up
Dear forumers, I see that the markets are rebounding from morning lows which had been sparked by panic -- the worst sentiment to be susceptible to as an investor. The economies of SG and the region as strong -- why sell down so sharply? The domestic industries of construction, consumer, for example, are healthy and vibrant and largely immune to what happens in US & Europe.

More
12 years 9 months ago #6812 by MacGyver
You have to be a really brave man to fight the market now.

Time to create page: 0.234 seconds