Forum seems so quiet...maybe it is a good sign

More
15 years 2 months ago #1049 by Gary Teh
Hey Brother in arms, Heard you loud and clear!! 6 months yes. 12 months market would have bounce 30%-40% off it\'s lows whatever that number is...so that would be my call and remember it\'s not the market and there are companies that simply refuse to come down in price after being so severely beaten down... Paper losses...I try hard not to look at them in my portfolio and I\'m measuring my wins by how many stocks I can pick up and multiplying that by the intrinsic valuation in 2014 onwards. That was I feel better and remember the war is as much out there as it is in between your two ears. In other words it is as much a mental battle out there as it is inside you....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1051 by Morpheus
Agreed. Maybe those of us who can survive should consider to write a book. \"How I survive the 2009 Global Stock Market Crisis\" Pass it down to our children and remember them the key rules in investing. BTW, a friend who attend the DR DOOM\'s talk yesterday at Ritz Carlton told me that he was very negative on United Kingdom. Turns out that UK is more geared than US. In his words, UK is \'finished\'.... I thought that sounds so much like Jim Rogers. Better sell whatever you have in UK... Pounds, properties, shares... Those Singapore companies with UK exposure, also better sell!!

More
15 years 2 months ago #1068 by Gary Teh
Marc Faber aka Dr Doom is promoting himself more than ever...he\'s always a perma bear. If he is so darn sure of himself he should short the British pound, banks and LSE. In fact he should buy the double ultra-shorts ETF and put all his fortune (not that he has much compared to WB) so that he\'s be the richest man since time in memorial. As much as Jim Rogers of who I don\'t think much of as all these guru\'s has a vested interest and they don\'t put their money where their mouth is. Jim Rogers tired to talk up the market for commodities when he has already taken a huge position much earlier on and poor investors who invested in his fund is sitting on huge losses...as I said once the bull market has arrive and everyone knows about it and singing the sky is the limit, it\'s time to get out and not in!

More
15 years 2 months ago #1073 by musicwhiz
Well said Gary Teh, \"gurus\" all have their own self-interests and I see Dr. Doom and Jim Rogers as such. Hence I don\'t listen to any of their forecasts and prognostications. They are just for listening only and it\'s one ear in, another ear out. Who knows what they get out of all this ? Advertising dollars ? Publicity for their funds ? It\'s a selfish world out there with people looking after their own self interests rather than caring for the 1,000s of people\'s money whom they don\'t even know personally. Let\'s face it, even WB is not so altruistic ! As we are in a severe bear market, it\'s definitely a good time to consider collecting. But only if you have the time frame to hold your shares, as the recovery may be long and the road may be hard. Protect yourself using insurance and also protect your job, that\'s the advice I would give during this recession. Save more and save hard and you should emerge from this crisis relatively unscathed.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1078 by Gary Teh
Hi Musicwhiz\' How did you come to the conclusion that WB is not that altruistic. That seems like a pretty serious allegation on your part as I do value your views. Disclosure/; vested interest in Brk-b.

More
15 years 2 months ago #1081 by musicwhiz
Hi Gary Teh, Note that it\'s from the point of view of sharing his knowledge and stock picks - he always keeps his cards to himself and though many books have been written about value investing and how he picks companies, he himself has never commented on his ACTUAL methodology. Thus, in this aspect he is \"selfish\". I was not referring to him donating a substantial portion of his wealth to charity, I was in fact more talking about him sharing on his investment philosophy. Most of it can be gleaned indirectly from his annual shareholder letters rather than from the man himself; but over the years we get a pretty good idea how he does it and it would seem his timing is emaculate ! (E.g. he sold off Petrochina before the China Stock Market collapsed).

Time to create page: 0.213 seconds