In another development in the tussle betwen Rex International and a Malaysia-listed company, the High Court of the Isle of Man on 30 June (2016) ordered the immediate winding up of Lime Petroleum.

Lime is 65% owned, indirectly, by Singapore-listed Rex International while the remaining 35% by Malaysia-listed Hibiscus Petroleum's subsidiary, Gulf Hibiscus.

The legal advisors of Lime had filed the application to the court to wind up Lime on 5 March 2016, in accordance to a resolution passed at a meeting of the board of directors of Lime held on 8 March 2016, by a majority vote of 3:1.

The Lime Shareholders’ Agreement expressly provides for a board decision to be taken with simple majority in a situation of financial distress. 


Liquidators will be duly appointed to handle payments to Lime’s creditors.

The liquidation of Lime will not have any material impact on Rex International for FY2016, given that the Group’s carrying amount of interest in Lime is nil.


250 2dan brostrom
The Company reiterates that it has always been confident that the Lime Directors have at all times acted consistently with their duties to Lime and is pleased that the Lime Directors have once again been fully vindicated by this latest judgment on the application to wind up Lime.

--  Dan Brostrom, executive chairman, Rex International

However, Hibiscus in its financial statements for the quarter ended 31 March 2016 had put its carrying value of its investment in Lime at RM212 million (about USD 53.0 million).

It follows that Hibiscus needs to make a huge writedown of that value.

Rex said it does not expect at this stage for the winding-up to generate any surplus whatsoever to be distributed to any shareholder of Lime.

In a judgment on 31 May 2016, His Honour, the Deemster Doyle had dismissed Gulf Hibiscus’ application to bring a derivative claim on behalf of Lime, against the Lime Directors.

He concluded the judgment by stating that he was minded to make an order for Gulf to pay for the costs of its failed application and that he would make his final determination after receiving additional submissions, if any.

For more, see  

You may also be interested in:


You have no rights to post comments

Counter NameLastChange
AEM Holdings2.3000.060
Avi-Tech Electronics0.265-
Best World1.7000.020
Broadway Ind0.0960.001
China Sunsine0.390-0.010
ComfortDelGro1.360-
Delfi Limited0.930-0.035
Food Empire1.420-0.020
Fortress Minerals0.280-
Geo Energy Res0.3600.020
GSS Energy0.0270.001
Hong Leong Finance2.470-0.010
Hongkong Land (USD)3.150-0.090
InnoTek0.440-0.005
ISDN Holdings0.3200.005
ISOTeam0.035-
IX Biopharma0.041-0.004
Jiutian Chemical0.024-0.001
KSH Holdings0.250-
Leader Env0.050-
Medtecs Intl0.1310.001
Nordic Group0.335-0.005
Oxley Holdings0.090-0.001
REX International0.1460.012
Riverstone0.665-0.020
Sinostar PEC0.135-0.003
Southern Alliance Mining0.600-
Straco Corp.0.500-
Sunpower Group0.220-
The Trendlines0.085-
Totm Technologies0.021-0.002
Uni-Asia Group0.815-
Wilmar Intl3.3600.030
Yangzijiang Shipbldg1.780-0.010
 

We have 1364 guests and no members online

rss_2 NextInsight - Latest News